The unit comes with a soot scraper plate to help remove soot which reduces the chance of fire. In cold temperatures the manufacturer recommends the fire to burn at the temperature of 280 degrees F up to 1000 degrees F, to help reduce the amount of soot.
Magic Heat Chimney, Flue Pipe and Stove Cleaner - 2-Lb.
answered 1 year, 11 months ago
0out of 1found this answer helpful.
Top 50 Contributor
I've not heard any increase in fire dangers related to the use of the heat reclaimer. The mfr does have recommendations to help keep it clean. It appears that if you give your chimney the attention it needs over time you'll not experience any issues.
answered 1 year, 9 months ago
- SW Michigan
0out of 0found this answer helpful.
YES, YES, YES! That is why not everyone should use them. It depends on your venting system and the way you burn! Preferably you have an inside chimney instead of one that goes up on the outside of the house. An inside chimney is already warmer since much of it is inside the house. Note: Creosote is just smoke that condenses as it cools, and builds up flammable creosote as the result. To keep from building up creosote, (and many times worse is "glaze" which looks like rock hard tar), you must keep the smoke, and therefore the venting system hot! To keep the smoke hot, you should: burn hotter fires instead of smouldering ones and burn DRY wood only! I don't usually recommend using a heat reclaimer unless the chimney is an insulated factory built metal chimney, or the chimney has been relined with an insulated stainless steel liner. If the chimney is inside the house, and it has a small flue (about 7"x7"), and you burn dry wood with hot fires, you very well may not have a problem even if it isn't lined with an insulated stainless steel liner, BUT be watchful about what builds up in the flue!! Glaze is VERY difficult to remove, and burns wicked if it catches fire!!
Sidenote: People still believe you can not burn softwood trees such as pine, spruce, fir, hemlock, etc.
THAT IS FALSE!! A number of years ago, 3 separate
tests at different places (and also my own experience) showed that the amount of creosote buildup with softwood was the same, or LESS, than hardwood. The thing that matters is the wood, whether softwood or hardwood has to be DRY!!! A load of softwood won't burn as long as a load of hardwood since softwood isn't as dense as hardwood, but it's great! Also, I think you will have alot less coals building up inside the stove after the wood is burned down, so you don't have them in the way of putting in more wood like you often experience with hard wood.
6out of 7found this answer helpful.