You can use the 50 amp transfer switch with your 100 amp panel. You will need to install a 50 amp breaker and run 2 leads to the transfer switch.
answered 3 years, 6 months ago
3out of 5found this answer helpful.
I'm "guessing" that your use of the term adapt means "be able to tie into".
The Transfer Switches act as a "sub-panel" and sub-panels can be fed off most any main panel. (I only use the term "most" because the tranfer switch HAS TO be rated for the environment it is to be installed in, which can range from oustside in the rain to a hazardous location) Main Fuse Panels must have provisions to power the sub panel.
The switch is normally intended for indoor use and has no problem being tied to the average main panel providing space is available. A "standard" installation.
A "custom" installation would be one where the transfer switch has to be located at a distance which exceeds the lengths of the equipment provided.
Even a "filled to capacity" main panel can be used because the circuits you deem as "critical circuits", to be protected by the generator, will be relocated to the Transfer Switch. This is good because you need to "free up" two spaces side-by-side for the Double Pole Breaker which will provide power to the transfer switch under "NORMAL POWER" while also providing the "sensing" voltage to the generator. This breaker is normally not included with your generator package and should not be larger than the breaker protecting the generator itself. (If the transfer switch is not part of a packge then it should not exceed the rating of the transfer switch which should be less than that of the buss.) This is for safety.
The majority of people hire qualified electricians to install the transfer switch and for good reason. There are a lot of "LIVE" parts in any electrical panel which must be avoided while you make a hole to tie the tranfer switch in through and then weave the wiring in through. Then there are sometimes existing conditions that can create a hazard. (like a loose connection, a nicked wire, a faulty electrical device or an item that just doesn't belong in there like water, a mouse or a metal object left sitting)
So the simple answer is yes. I haven't found an installation that I couldn't tie a transfer switch into.
The complicated answer is, I have had a run for my money on a few occasions. No two installations have been alike.
answered 3 years, 4 months ago
- Massena, NY
4out of 5found this answer helpful.